These Twix Bars are AMAZING!!!! They are Vegan, Paleo (gluten free), and super easy to make. I came across this recipe at Food Faith and Fitness. You can find the original recipe by clicking here. I’m impatient, so I did not follow all of the steps listed in the original recipe. From start to finish this took me about only 35 minutes and turned out SO good!!!
~*~ You will need a smaller food processor for this recipe to work. I used the small bowl in my Breville Sous Chef.
Ingredients For Crust:
- 1/3 Cup Coconut Oil (room temp)
- 3 Tbsp Honey (or other sweetener)
- ½ tsp pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- ¾ Cup Coconut Flour (add more if needed to get that crust like texture)
Ingredients For Caramel:
- 2 Cups lightly packed Medjool dates – about 22 dates (pre-soak in water for at least 20 minutes pitted)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp vanilla almond milk
Ingredients For Chocolate Topping:
- 1/3 Cup of Vegan Chocolate Chips
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees & line an 8×8 glass pan with parchment paper (I use If You Care).
- Mix coconut oil, honey, salt, and coconut flour together. You can use an electric hand mixer. (I used the smaller mixing bowl in my food processor). Add more flour if needed to get that crust like texture.
- Evenly press dough into parchment paper. Bake for 10 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
- While crust is cooling down, prepare the Caramel.
- Slice or tear the pre-soaked dates into smaller pieces (remove the pits & discard). Place dates, coconut oil, and almond milk into food processor. Mix until you have a creamy smooth consistency. I used my smaller bowel in my food processor. A big food processor will not work.
- Carefully place the caramel mixture on top of the crust. The crust breaks easily (it’ll be okay though), so drop small spoonfuls of the mixture throughout different spots of the crust then lightly even it all out with a spatula.
- Melt chocolate with coconut oil over low heat in a saucepan.
- Pour chocolate mixture over caramel topping. Optional- sprinkle topping with sea salt. Place in fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Slice however you like & enjoy!
- After I poured the chocolate mixture on top of the caramel, I sprinkled it with Pink Himalayan Sea Salt.
- I used my smaller bowl in my food Breville food processor. My bigger mixing bowl would not work for the size of this recipe.
- Store in Fridge or Freezer.
This is how mine looked after being in the fridge x 3 hours. I sliced mine into squares and stored it in the freezer.
You can cut them into Twix bars:
JUST EAT REAL FOOD – Stop focusing on calories & focus on what you’re eating and how it makes you feel. Your body is always giving you signals, but many times we ignore them. Pay attention if you develop nausea, gas, bloating, abdominal pain, diarrhea, constipation, headaches, joint pain, rashes, sinus problems, or cold sores. If you develop any of these things after eating, it’s a good indicator that your body is giving you a clue to stop consuming something in your food. Many times these symptoms come from consuming chemicals, artificial coloring, and preservatives. Other times these symptoms can occur from a food allergy or sensitivity. Pay attention. Creating a food diary is a really great way to help you figure out what your triggers are. Food elimination diets are a great way to figure out what your triggers are.