I absolutely love to eat Jackfruit! You can use it so many different ways and it’s such a great plant based option. If I had to choose between eating pulled pork or the jackfruit version, hands down I’d always choose the jackfruit. I’m not even vegan! It’s just that good!
What is Jackfruit?
Jackfruit is the largest tree fruit in the world! In fact, it can reach up to 100 pounds, but its average weight is 10-25 pounds. Many people in the vegan community tout this as the fruit that can feed the world. Jackfruit has a “meaty” texture and can be used in smoothies, breads, soups, juices, and as a vegan substitute for “pulled pork.”
- 2 (20oz) cans of green jackfruit in water
- 1 diced onion
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 2-3 T water
- 1 T Olive Oil
- ½ t garlic powder
- ½ t onion powder
- 1 t smoked paprika
- Salt & pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Drain & rinse jackfruit. Remove seeds and chop off “core” portion of the fruit and discard (optional- you can keep seeds and core & it’ll still taste great).
- Saute diced onion in olive oil in a large skillet, over medium heat, for 5-7 minutes.
- Add jackfruit & BBQ sauce to the skillet. Cook on medium heat for 20-25 minutes. Stir as needed.
- Add in garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, and salt & pepper.
- Use a spatula or potato masher to pull apart the jackfruit so that it looks like “pulled pork”.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the pulled jackfruit across the lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Add to tacos, buns, or Pizza.
- * Optional- add coleslaw or sliced avocados.
Canned Green Jackfruit from Trader Joe’s.
Rinse & drain Jackfruit.
I discarded the core and the seeds to the left of the picture & kept the “shredded pork” portion to the right.
* This part is 100% optional. It taste great with the core & seeds. I think many recipes say to discard the core and seeds, because it keeps that “shredded pork” texture a little better.
Slice up an onion and saute it.
Add in Jackfruit & BBQ sauce. Add enough water to keep it from burning. I used around 2-3 Tablespoons. I used my wooden spatula to break the jackfruit up some more.
Spread jackfruit mixture onto parchment paper & bake for 10 minutes.
I made Jackfruit Tacos out of it. These are Paleo tortillas made from coconuts by Nucoconut. I bought them from Vitacost.com. They tasted okay, but my Paleo Homemade Version is way better!
- You can find canned Jackfruit at most stores. Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods both sell them.
- You do not have to cut the core portion or the seeds out. The main reason for removing them is for the purpose of shredding the jackfruit.
JUST EAT REAL FOOD – Stop focusing on calories & focus on what you’re eating and how it makes you feel. Your body is always giving you signals, but many times we ignore them. Pay attention if you develop nausea, gas, bloating, abdominal pain, diarrhea, constipation, headaches, joint pain, rashes, sinus problems, or cold sores. If you develop any of these things after eating, it’s a good indicator that your body is giving you a clue to stop consuming something in your food. Many times these symptoms come from consuming chemicals, artificial coloring, and preservatives. Other times these symptoms can occur from a food allergy or sensitivity. Pay attention. Creating a food diary is a really great way to help you figure out what your triggers are. Food elimination diets are a great way to figure out what your triggers are.