Did you know that jackfruit is the largest tree fruit in the world!? Believe it or not, they can reach close to 100 lbs. I had never heard of jackfruit, until moving to Florida. Our farmers market and select stores sell it, but it wasn’t until I had my first vegan “pulled-pork” sandwich that I became obsessed with it. Jackfruit has a nice meaty texture and works well for vegan meat substitutions. Even if you’re not vegan, I promise it’s worth trying out.
- 1 package of Tex-Mex Jackfruit
- ½ cup frozen organic corn
- 1 tablespoon of filtered water (I use APEC reverse osmosis)
- ½ cup vegan cheese (I used Aged Nutcheese)
- One avocado
- Optional- Taco shells, quinoa, or bun.
- Sauté Jackfruit on stove top, until its warm. Add in organic corn with1 tablespoon of water.
- Mix in vegan cheese, until melted.
- Remove from stove top & serve with Avocado.
- I found this jackfruit in the refrigerator section at Publix Grocery Store in Florida.
- Both Trader Joe’s & Whole Foods sell a canned version of jackfruit. It’s not as tasty, but you could add in your own seasoning to create a similar recipe.
- You can make this into tacos or into a vegan “pulled pork” sandwich.
- You can serve over quinoa.