Have you ever wondered what’s in your sunscreen? I’ve always been hesitant to put sunscreen on, due to all the chemicals. Your skin is very absorbent and many products you put on your skin are able to absorb directly into your body.
Here’s the thing though. I’m very fair skinned and live in South Florida. So for me not only do I have to apply sunscreen, but I also wear a hat, sunglasses, and occasionally a rash guard.
How to tell if your sunscreen is safe:
The easiest way, is to use the Environmental Working Group (EWG) website or app and look up the brand you want to use. My personal goal is use products that rate a 3 or lower. The lower the rating, the safer the product is. Many commercial sunscreens in the store rate 9+ on the EWG app! As a side note, so do many beauty and cleaning products.
My favorite sunscreens:
Alba Sunscreen SPF 30
- Easy to use & only rated a 3 on EWG.
- This is my favorite one to use.
- Can find on online or in Whole foods store.
- If mosquitoes are a problem, buy the lavender one.
Babyganics SPF 50+
- Rated a 2 on EWG.
- Rubs in pretty easy.
- Can find on Amazon or in Target.
Badger Kids SPF 30
- Rated only a 1 on EWG.
- Does not rub in as easily as Alba. But it’s safer to use.
- Find this on Amazon or in Wholefoods store.
My Favorite SPF Moisturizers:
Andalou Naturals 1000 Roses SPF 30
- Rated 1 on EWG.
- For my skin complexion I use Sheer Tan.
- This is a little on the thick side, so I mix in a tiny amount of moisturizer or additional sunscreen in it.
Juice Beauty Antioxidant Serum
- Rated 1-2 on EWG.
- I apply this under my Andalou moisturizer.
- Hydrates your skin & adds in additional protection against UV rays.
Simple Protecting Moisturizer SPF 15
- Rated a 3 on EWG.
- Easy to rub in.
- Can find this on Amazon, Target, or Walgreens.
My Favorite SPF chap stick:
Juice Beauty SPF 8 Lip Moisturizer
- I love the red tinted one!
- EWG does not currently have a rating on this one. But based on the ingredients I would rate it a 1. It’s made with aloe, coconut oil, sunflower oil, wax from plants, and zinc oxide.
- Juice Beauty is a great company because they use organic ingredients and they are certified animal cruelty free. They are not certified Vegan, because some products do contain bee’s wax.