Algae Pills & Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acids
You’ve probably heard of using Fish oil pills, but have you heard of using the vegan version to this? Basically you skip the middleman “the fish” and go straight to the source…. the Algae. Fish obtain their Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) and Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) omega fatty acids from microalgae. But the problem with fish oil and krill oil are the possible contaminants. The ocean is filled with them!
Who needs DHA and EPA?
- Pregnant women- DHA is important for fetal growth and development.
- Anyone who has a deficiency – you can ask your doctor for a blood test or pay out of pocket for one.
- People with autoimmune issues- especially people with eczema, psoriasis, and rheumatoid arthritis.
- People with high triglyceride levels – you still need to make diet changes. There are no magic pills for this.
Signs of Deficiency:
Deficiency in DHA and EPA can cause rough, dry, scaly skin, and trouble with sleeping. Deficiency can also cause other neurological problems such as poor memory, trouble with concentration, anxiety, and even depression.
Why not just use fish oil pills or eat fish directly?
- Contaminants- the ocean is filled with contaminants, such as mercury, pesticides and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs).
- Vegans- if you’re vegan this is an excellent alternative to obtaining your EPA and DHA.
- Over fishing – the fish populations are decreasing at an alarming rate, due to over-fishing.
- False labeling- many fish oil pills have been shown to advertise higher amounts of EPA and DHA, than what is actually in the pill.
What brand to use?
- I used to use DEVA algae pills, but I’ve noticed that their pills don’t seem to be working the same as they did last year. When I first started them, my lips were super smooth. That is no longer the case. I am now currently using Nature’s Way Ultra Pure Cod Liver Oil from Whole Foods. After just one dose I noticed my lips were back to normal and I’m sleeping deeper.
- I don’t get paid for recommending any of the products listed on my blog. I only blog about the things I like =)
Why do I use it?
- It’s helped my dry skin- especially my lips & face.
- It’s helped me sleep better.
- I feel more clear headed.
How do I use it?
- I swish the Cod Liver Oil around in my mouth and swallow it. Surprisingly there is no fish taste and it actually tastes good!
- I take one tsp per day with food.
What else do you need to help absorb it?
EPA and DHA are not enough. You still need Alpha-Linolenic Acid (ALA). This can be found in plants such as flax-seeds, hemp seeds, and chia seeds. The combination is of all three fatty acids works to heal the body. Health is mostly about what causes inflammation in the body and what decreases it. Omega-3 fatty acids help to decrease the inflammation in your body, thus aiding in healing & repair.
Caution – always check with your medical provider before starting any new supplements. Like any supplement, Algae pills and fish oil pills have the potential to interact with other medications.
Information in this posting is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Talk to your medical provider before starting any new supplements or medications.