Algae & Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acids
You’ve probably heard of using Fish oil pills, but have you heard of using the vegan version to this? Basically you skip the middleman “the fish” and go straight to the source…. the Algae. Fish obtain their Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) and Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) omega fatty acids from microalgae. But the problem with fish oil and krill oil are the possible contaminants. The ocean is filled with them!
Who needs DHA and EPA?
- Pregnant women- DHA is important for fetal growth and development.
- Anyone who has a deficiency – you can ask your doctor for a blood test or pay out of pocket for one.
- People with autoimmune issues- especially people with eczema, psoriasis, and rheumatoid arthritis.
- People with high triglyceride levels – you still need to make diet changes. There are no magic pills for this.
Signs of Deficiency:
Deficiency in DHA and EPA can cause rough, dry, scaly skin, and trouble with sleeping. Deficiency can also cause other neurological problems such as poor memory, trouble with concentration, anxiety, and even depression.
Why not just use fish oil pills or eat fish directly?
- Contaminants- the ocean is filled with contaminants, such as mercury, pesticides and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs).
- Vegans- if you’re vegan this is an excellent alternative to obtaining your EPA and DHA.
- Over fishing – the fish populations are decreasing at an alarming rate, due to over-fishing.
- False labeling- many fish oil pills have been shown to advertise higher amounts of EPA and DHA, than what is actually in the pill.
What brand to use?
- I used to use DEVA algae pills, but I’ve noticed that their pills don’t seem to be working the same as they did in the past. When I first started them, my lips and skin were nice and hydrated, but that is no longer the case. I am now alternating between a couple different types of Omegas.
- If you want to keep it vegan, check out E3 Live. I have found that this Algae has helped with my joint pain. I didn’t notice a big difference in my skin, but for some it works really well. You can buy it as a liquid, powder or pills. I buy the liquid and then make algae ice cubes and just take one per day.
- I also alternate between Cod Liver Oil and New Chapter Whole Mega pills. Believe it or not, the Cod Liver Oil tastes okay and goes down smooth, but the Whole Mega Pills are nice for traveling. If you take Fish Oil Pills, I recommend only eating a small meal with them. Over-eating will cause that fish burp taste in your mouth.
Why do I use it?
- It’s helped my dry skin- especially my lips & face.
- It’s helped my joint pain.
- It’s helped me sleep better.
- I feel more clear headed.
- I have more energy.
How do I use it?
- With the fish oil pills I take 4 pills per day with a tiny amount of food. Too much food can cause burping and gives you that fish taste in your mouth.
- With the Cod Liver Oil I only take 1 tsp per day. Surprisingly there is no fish taste and it actually tastes good! I don’t use the Cod Liver Oil and the fish oil pills in the same day.
- With the E3 Live Algae I make ice-cube’s out of it and take one every day.
What else do you need to help absorb it?
EPA and DHA are not enough. You still need Alpha-Linolenic Acid (ALA). This can be found in plants such as flax-seeds, hemp seeds, and chia seeds. The combination of all three fatty acids works to heal the body. Health is mostly about what causes inflammation in the body and what decreases it. Omega-3 fatty acids help to decrease the inflammation in your body, thus aiding in healing & repair.
Cats & Dogs:
P.S I also give fish oil to my cats. LOL. My one cat had really bad asthma from a hair ball and once I started sneaking fish oil into her wet food, she was able to cough it up. For my Cats I use Nordic Naturals Omega Pet.
Caution – Always check with your medical provider before starting any new supplements. Like any supplement, Algae pills and fish oil pills have the potential to interact with other medications.
Information in this posting is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Talk to your medical provider before starting any new supplements or medications.